SensoRehab is the startup developing a tech solution for post-stroke rehabilitation, comprised of a rehabilitation method, smart glove and a set of neuro developing cognitive games. The founders of the project claim that the efficiency of their solution had been proved by 3 years of clinical trials. During this period several scientific theses confirming the significance of the method have been defended. The project is ranked as Level A in terms of evidence-based medicine and recognized by scientists and doctors worldwide. Newconomy media contacted the team of the project to get to know more about this revolutionary med-tech solution.
When was your project launched?
– The project was launched approximately 1,5 years ago. In this timeframe, the team refined the device, developed the software (personal accounts for patients and doctors, the set of cognitive games, the analytics system), and launched pilot projects with several hospitals. Currently, we are at the final stage of receiving the Medical device Certificate of Validation.
Meanwhile, in the middle of 2018 SensoRehab became a “Skolkovo” resident and achieved a status of a priority project at “Skolkovo” fintech hub.
What are the main principles underlying your solution?
– The solution is based on 2 major medical principles: the principle of neuroplasticity and the principle of biofeedback. Simply put, the more we work with our hands on regaining small motor functions, the faster is the process of the recovery of brain cells damaged as a result of the stroke. Therefore, we are stimulating our patients to work on small motor functions of the upper limb.
– How does your method work in practice?
The patient wears the smart glove that monitors all movements of the hand, palm, fingers, and wrist with a high level of precision, launches special TV on this screen (computer, smart TV, tablet), where the patient can find the initial tests and play the cognitive games, that are controlled by the patient’s hand. By doing so, the patient plays a special game that stimulates him to perform the vital actions for post-stroke rehabilitation.
– Describe your target audience, please.
Our clients are post-stroke patients in the process of rehabilitation. According to the Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation, in Russia, approximately 450 000 people suffer a stroke every year, among whom 300 000 people need to undergo rehabilitation. Globally, according to WHO data, more than 15 million people suffer a stroke annually and 10 million need rehabilitation.
These patient are our target audience. Of course, our solution will not be a fit to 100% of patients. The best approach has to be determined by the attending physician individually. Based on our estimations, the solution could fit approximately half of the target audience.
– Where are you based? Where the patients can reach you?
– Our project is focused on several biggest markets (by the number of people suffering from strokes): Russia (as the founders are originating from Russia and possess local market expertise), USA, China (less than a month ago the founders came back from China upon finishing the acceleration program SinoTrack), and Europe.
– What are your main achievements at the moment?
– At this stage, the rehabilitation method has been customized and tailored, the product has been developed and tested, and the pilot projects have been launched. We finalized the certification of the solution as a household product and received a resident status at Skolkovo (5 votes out of 6 decision makers) as well as the priority project status.
As a result, yet at a limited scale, we are helping people to deal with their disease. Post-stroke rehabilitation is a very long and tense period for the patient. No clinic is capable to “keep” patient for the whole time of the rehab (2-12 months). Usually, patients are treated during the short inpatient rehabilitation programme ( 7-14 days), after that, they have to undergo home-based rehabilitation. The patient encounters a long and boring process without observing any evident results for a long time.
We are providing the patient with a mobile device to use in a comfortable home atmosphere and the progress can be monitored remotely by the attending physician. The process of the rehab itself transforms from a depressing physical exercise to a fun and exciting gaming experience.
– What are your plans for the next stage of development?
– We are finalizing our registration procedures. We are planning to enter more target markets and establish collaboration programmes with numerous international hospitals and rehabilitation centers as well. Along with that, we are looking for different options to attract extra investments in the project.
Thank you a lot!